Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Enter two Clowns, with spades, &c: dried rose petals scattered among funeral cypresses, a splash of sly tonka fougere, tobacco absolute, and charred white sandalwood skulls.

When I wear this I think of Kingsport, an incandescent misty feeling, even though this isn't an aquatic scent.  Maybe Kingsport had some cypress or it's something about the tonka fougere, I am not sure.  

None of the notes really stand out strongly to me, but I can pick out the rose petals if I try.  I think it's mostly about the cypress and tonka fougere.  It's unusual that the sandalwood doesn't stand out at all on me because I tend to amp that note.  Also tobacco can sometimes misbehave on me, which is why I tried a decant first, but this is lovely and I ended up with a bottle. 

It smells clean and misty, but again, not aquatic.  Reminds me of an early foggy morning.

One day out of the mail: ~Secret aquatic~, clean but not soapy

I assume this effect is from the cypress and fougere. Very light and "misty", without strong throw. The tobacco and sandalwood aren't easily detectable; I can find the rose if I look for it and it fits in well, but without the notes I wouldn't describe it as a rose fragrance.

For those who like comparisons, this reminds me strongly of Cycling for Pleasure from the 2021 Shungas (which was an aquatic that also included cypress, oakmoss, carnation, and vetiver). I destashed that one because it eventually became too soapy, which this one doesn't seem to be, so if it gets stronger with rest I might keep it. I'll update this review if it changes drastically with rest.