Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

The Extraction of the Stone of Madness

Not a cell phone in sight. Just people living in the moment. A strangely serene scent: French lavender bud, woodmoss, cypress, amyris, white cedar, labdanum, and bergamot.

A woodsy floral scent. The cedar is slightly the strongest note on me, but the cypress, moss, lavender, and amyris are not far behind. The mix results in a very woodsy scent. The lavender just takes it away for lumber yard, but the lavender registers more as herbal-y floral than lavender specifically. There's a slight sweetness that more adds to the floral nature of the scent, which I think is coming from the bergamot, but I cannot pick it out individually. Overall, the blend results in something greater than the sum of its parts, woodsy, but floral, herbal, and sweet enough to not be a wood scent. 

This starts off with a blast of lavender and woodmoss, a bit of cypress, and what I originally thought was BBQ-y cedar, but I retested it and noticed there's some stealth smoky vetiver in here. :rasp: So it's lavender, moss, cedar, and stealth vetiver for a while, before it becomes mostly about the moss and amyris (which is dry and woody and somewhat powdery on me when mingling with the moss) touched with a bit of brightness from the bergamot. The labdanum was not a main feature on me, even though it usually likes to take over. No flat cola here.

The smoky vetiver and cedar was really not for me, and the moss and amyris made this too dry for me, so I'm not keeping the decant. I did enjoy the lavender, though.

I am very new to posting reviews, and I do not have a particularly fine tuned sniffer... But I really enjoy this scent! initially, I got a very strong, herbal lavender with moss and greenery, like the long abandoned herb garden at the ruins of an old church. After dry down, I’m getting a little bit of that smokiness as well, like a leaf pile that was set on fire in the town center and is drifting towards the abandoned herb garden. I’ll be very curious to give it another sniff in a weeks time.

The lavender is a big note in the opening, and it's very nice for a minute, but soon the whole composition goes in the direction of "fancy soap" - this is a common problem for me with a number of notes (especially lavender), and I probably should have foreseen it since several of the other notes here (woodmoss, bergamot) are also popular in "soap" scents. It doesn't come across as particularly floral; the second opinion I solicited was "generic non-floral perfume, a little masculine". Overall, a little woody, a little herbal, but also... soap.