Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pearlescent ambergris and salt musk, white bergamot, elemi, white lemon peel, champaca, and seafoam.

April Art: A Moment of Joy
April is a moment of joy for those who have survived the winter.
– Samuel Johnson

Artist - Norman Lindsay

Screen Shot 2024-06-10 at 11.55.36 AM.png

Edited by Jenjin

Wow I really hit it out of the park with this blind buy! I suspected this would be the BPAL ambergris for me—I love the note in general, and the fact that it is a kind of white whale that many perfumers try to emulate, but the BPAL version, while interesting, can often become overwhelming and cloying on my skin. Here there is real synergy between all the notes—it’s definitely salty and citrus bright, but soft. It does go a little “detergent” but I’m not really bothered by it. And it’s more interesting than a simple soapy marine-citrus accord. The champaca does its smooth ethereal thing and there is something warm, resinous, slightly spicy (I hesitate to use this word: think fenugreek or celery seed, not cinnamon) that begins in the background and slowly takes over. I haven’t really paid much attention to timing yet but it doesn’t last as long as some of my other BPALs and is fairly demure in terms of throw—I’m fine with both! It’s definitely present, just a shy and transparent cloud, a shimmering apparition. 

An ambergris dominated scent. I get a lot of the ambergris and salt notes. They also, unfortunately, go to a slightly soapy territory on me. I do get whiffs of the citrus, but it sits really close to the skin and doesn't really break through the brine. It reminds me of very fancy, citrus in the ocean themed soap. It's a pleasant scent, but too ambergris dominated for my tastes. 

Salty champaca. A little soapy, as champaca sometimes pulls, probably being helped along in that direction by the aquatic notes. This is a warm, dry scent on me. Towels that were hung out to dry on the beach. Salty, cuddly, infused with sunlight. A nap in a sun puddle, with the windows open and a sea breeze blowing. Throw/longevity were mid for me.