Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black velvet, ancient climbing roses, champaca magnolia, and deep, resonant strings of amber.

Mayday Art: She Comes With Footsteps Light
What potent blood hath modest May.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

Artist - Edward Okun

395388@2x.jpeg

Disclaimer: I'm trying this straight from the mailbox.

The champaca is immediately there, however it's not as mothball-esque as Nag Champa goes on me, it's floral. I get a vaguely fruity rose along with the warm amber and furry black musk. This feels a little heavy for a hot summer day.

Next day test: I take back every bad thing I've said about champaca. This is a lovely realistic floral. It does actually remind me of the scent of the small flowered kind of magnolias except it's strongly orange. The musk is now taking a backseat to champaca. It may be the name influencing me but I get faint impressions of amber as golden strings.

Edited by patina

On my skin the black velvet note really dominates followed by the amber with the floral notes in the background. I feel that this concert is more of the somber and classical kind. Something here makes this quite perfumey, I think perhaps it is the velvet note. This was a much stronger blend than I was expecting, it has alot of throw and lasts for ages. 

In the bottle: dark, heavy amber, with shadowy velvet curtains, with a black bite of something sinister lurking, clove maybe. Evil little cloves. 😎 Heavily indolic fresh on, with some powder from the champaca and rose. A fresh linen type note appears, which makes this much more pleasant, with indoles still present, but getting buried. Dries down kind of powdery and ambery on me with some green from the florals and something sharp some ambers do on me like in News From Afar. It's almost glorious on me. I think on the right skin this would be a lovely, gothic, dark velvet floral, with a touch of conventional amber perfume thrown in on the drydown. I might have to stick to a locket: in the bottle it's fantastically, gloriously goth and BPAL, like an old gothic manor draped in mystery and dark evil things, so heck yeah I'm keeping it. "You've done terrible things, Lawrence."

Edited by RoseThornAndOak