Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

Strawberry Moon 2024: Red Currant and Silvered Musk

I've been on a bit of a musk kick recently, and was both intrigued by what "silvered" might mean and also by how it might in fact layer with Strawberry Moon 2024, which I already knew I was going to purchase.

As with some of the duets, the perfume on its own is fairly simple and straight forward, which is totally the point. The currant is one I've encountered in other Lab blends, and is slightly tart and gently sweet and fruity. The musk took me by a bit of surprise. For some reason I'd anticipated that it would be similar to a white musk, and it's not at all. That said, it's not a rich musk either. The closest thing I can point to is that this is sort of a water-musk. As in, the note I'm getting from it reminds me of other water / rain / ocean notes I've encountered (no salt, though, so don't expect any!). Metallics can go weird on me, as can water notes, so I was leery of what would happen next.

What happened next, is that I tested it all by itself and it scarcely stayed on my skin, other than as a ghost of a scent.

BUT, what was *actually* surprising, and delightful, is when I layered it with Strawberry Moon as it was designed for- and THAT was a lovely surprise! Perhaps because in the composition of this year's SM there's richer, grounded notes like Laudanum and incense, it seems to have given these delicate notes something to hold onto, so it definitely increased the staying power for sure. AND it shifted the Moon out of its thoroughly dark aspect and into something more far-reaching and expansive. This is my first official foray into the Duets that are meant to be layered with specific Moons but it won't be the last based on the success of this one! 

This, unfortunately, is fancy soap on me. The silvered musk is an icy, slightly spicy, slightly metallic take on a white musk. The combination with the red currant brings it into fancy winter soap for me. The silvered musk dominated combo brings to mind more winter berries iced over in an especially harsh cold snap.