Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Brisby

Looking for a Woody Chypre

Hello. I'm new to BPAL, and to indie houses in general. I'm having trouble navigating this vast library. I tried an imp of Dee given to me by my SO, and absolutely fell in love. I'll be ordering a 5ml of Dee and some other imps to try out. During the day, I favor a woody chypre. Terre d'Hermes has been my go-to for years. This year I've been wearing Nishane's Hacivat and have been really enjoying the contrast of juicy grapefruit with dank moss and patchouli. I'm looking for something that has a woody backbone with a bit of resin, earthy patchouli or moss, and a gentle musk. I like vetiver and I'm partial to citrus. I'm a man btw. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Brisby
clarification

Welcome to BPAL! Dee is such a lovely starting place (potentially of interest, it also comes in a beard oil, which is actually the main way I use Dee). Our preference notes don't fully overlap, but I've browsed through the GC for some things that seem like they might be up your alley.

- Vicomte de Valmont [Ars Amatoria] (ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary)

- Thanatopsis [Ars Moriendi] (pine, juniper and musk)

- Black Forest [Bewitching Brews] (Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress)

- Highwayman [Bewitching Brews] (Vetiver with gardenia, blood red rose, night-blooming jasmine, a dash of cinnamon and a faint hint of leather)

- Incantation [Bewitching Brews] (vetiver, dark woods, crumbling and burnt black sandalwood and a drop of lemon rind)

- The Harlot's House [Bewitching Brews] (angel's trumpet, violet, white sandalwood, oude, copaiba balsam, angelica, white tea, olibanum, and oakmoss) This is one that I quite like personally! If you like something a little licorice/anise leaning, that is what the angelica note adds for me

- Voodoo [Bewitching Brews] (myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove)

- Yggdrasil [Bewitching Brews] (The World Ash. Nine woods, nine leaves, and three herbs each for Ratatosk and Vidofnir, with three final herbs to placate Nidhogg.) Another one on here I like personally, this is so woody and foresty!

- A Countenance Foreboding Evil [Diabolus] (Patchouli, ylang ylang, blood orange, and vetiver)

- Loup Garou [Diabolus] (juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus.) Another one I really like personally, woody and fresh and a little sharp in a good way

- Anteros [Excolo] (throbbing red musk and shimmering chypre with saffron, sweet patchouli, Italian bergamot, red currant, and vanilla bean)

- Coyote [Excolo] (The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk)

- Oberon [Illyria] (Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli)

- Bram Stoker [Inspiration] (Bourbon vetiver with opoponax, Italian bergamot, and hay absolute.)

- The Caterpillar [Mad Tea Party] (carnation, jasmine, bergamot, and neroli over a lush bed of dark mosses, iris blossom, deep patchouli and indolent vetiver.)

- Jabberwocky [Mad Tea Party] (pine, eucalyptus and orange)

- Old Demons of the First Class [Marchen] (Siberian musk, black clove, opoponax, tonka, black pepper, and neroli.)

- Azathoth [A Picnic in Arkham] (tangerine, saffron, vetiver, black amber and cedarwood.) This is one I personally like (unusual because vetiver is more miss than hit for me), and the first thing that came to mind looking at your notes!

- Lizardfolk Park Ranger [RPG] (The scent of ancient trees, vast shadowed canyons, rocky snow-tipped peaks, and rushing rivers, with notes of pine needle, oak bark, sweet birch, stream-polished stones, lichen, dark mosses, nootka, hazelnut, rivulets of amber, and blackcurrant bud)

- Druid [RPG] (ancient trees, fertile soil, wild herbs, spring grasses, and burgundy pitch incense.) I quite like this one, it reminds me of gardening

- Ranger [RPG] (Untamed wilderness: buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva)

- Oblivion [Sin and Salvation] (Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron)

I'm sure there are plenty that I missed that might appeal, but hopefully some of these help you narrow down some imps to get! Enjoy your BPAL journey!

@ShadowEtienne Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Some of these were on my radar from my own casual browsing. Namely Azathoth, Bram Stoker, and A Countenance. Anteros also piques my interest- I love currant.  Honestly all of these I would like to try but unfortunately I don't have a fat wad of cash to spend on imps.

The nice thing about GC is that they'll be around for a long time, so you can always try more later! BPAL is also really generous about adding freebie imps to orders, and sometimes they'll give you things to try you wouldn't think to try (or get lucky and get one you've been wanting to try and not ordered yet). 

Also, sometimes if you check the forums sale pages, people will be selling batches of GC imps for great prices.

Azathoth is so nicely balanced! And BPAL's current notes are really great.

Sign in to follow this