Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Moonstruck with music and madness: warm russet musk, toasted sandalwood, cacao, blood-tipped blackberry thorns, and oak bark.

Out of the mid-wood’s twilight
Into the meadow’s dawn,
Ivory limbed and brown-eyed,
Flashes my Faun!

He skips through the copses singing,
And his shadow dances along,
And I know not which I should follow,
Shadow or song!

O Hunter, snare me his shadow!
O Nightingale, catch me his strain!
Else moonstruck with music and madness
I track him in vain!
– Oscar Wilde

In The Bottle: A surprisingly light combination of the cacao and musk, with a little blackberry and oak bark bitten off at the end.

Wet On Skin: It warms up and starts to shift quickly, becoming more rich and strong- basically more in line what I'd expect from the scent profile for this. The musk is warm but not super dark, like a brown or black musk. I'm frankly relieved as those both tend to go wet cardboard with my chemistry suuuuuper fast. The blackberry continues its upward climb, becoming a near-predominant note. It's fascinating because I've generally experienced it in blends that are foodie-forward and really support a fruit as the star of the show. But this is an instant where the note plays against type and it's really working at this stage.

Dry Down:The blackberry, oak bark musk and a hint of the cacao all come together in the blend at this point where it's a bit harder to pull out the individual notes. (given the density for most of them, I anticipate this will only get stronger with age). That said, I want to make clear that in spite of a few prominent notes, I would *not* call this a foodie or gourmand scent. If anything the combination, once settled and released by the skin, becomes a little reminiscent of a high-end masculine cologne. Alas, I get no blood or sandalwood at any point in the process, but it's a really interesting scent that I think will come into its own with a little bit of aging. 

I need to retest this one because I only got to wear it once before I packed it (yay moving again, but this time to a permanent (until I potentially wander off again) house that's kinda my dream house and I fell in love with its old bones the second I stepped into it).  I had a hard time picking out ANY of the listed notes for Deer Moon '24.  It smells more like the Lab's tobacco flower, which is a clean (slightly soapy), slightly metallic, masculine, hazy white scent on my skin.  No cocoa and not even any woods for me.  It doesn't even venture into any brown or red musk territory on my skin.

this is so, so good. I'm getting similar vibes as pbsw's pokeberry (berries/cocoa/wine/leather) but the musk and oak make it more complex and ever so slightly delightfully feral. early in the dry phase I can pick out every single note down to the toasty goodness from toasted sandalwood. the blackberry stays out of jam territory for me and adds a wonderfully rich dark purple facet. just wanna cuddle up and nuzzle this. I do have little cocoa blobs in my bottle so I would give it a bit of a shake to wake those up.

I slept on this last night and it was much muskier in the morning. it also layers gloriously with the honey dust/oudh duet if you want to punch up the sweetness by a notch, don't be scared of that oudh! I also really like the golden tobacco/beeswax duet on its own but I don't like it as much layered with the parent blend. overall this lunacy release was a really good one for me!