Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

Deer Moon: Golden Tobacco and Beeswax

In The Bottle: There is something surprisingly...watery...about this combination. 😳 I'm really surprised, because neither of these notes has EVER given me even a hint of such a thing! I think there's something about these two together that lends itself toward a whisper of petrichor somehow, and I definitely don't mind.

Wet On Skin: As with this month's Deer Moon itself, it starts to shift fairly dramatically shortly after it begins to warm up. The notes are separating themselves out into the very recognizable beeswax note I've known and loved in other BPAL blends and a less-prominent tobacco that smells more like the soil note in Penny Dreadful than any tobacco notes I've encountered from The Lab previously. For me, it works, cause I usually love earth and dirt notes.

Dry Down: It stays largely the same from first touch to dry down, so not much morphing. It's a warm "skin" scent, definitely stays close, not alot of throw. Always test carefully, but don't be surprised if you have to slather a little ;) 

Layered with Deer Moon, as intended: I get it. If Deer Moon didn't have such forward Blackberry, adding in this Duet might be overkill. But these two notes add some warmth with the sweetness making the layering a really beautiful cuddly scent. 

In All: F
or the remainder of this hot, hot summer, I'll likely keep this Duet for separate use from the Deer it's paired with. The *moment* we get a cool, autumnal day, though, the layering will be ON :D 

I came here to see if anyone had reviewed this because my bottle just arrived and it does in fact smell like petrichor. Like straight up wet stone/earth and nothing else on bottle sniff. I thought, surely this is mislabeled or something?? But having seen the review above I guess I'm not alone! How bizarre. I guess we'll see what some rest does but I was expecting this to be a no brainer slam dunk of a blind buy and unfortunately petrichor type scents are not my jam. 🥲

Update: skin test time! Fully agree with VioletChaos about this being similar to Penny Dreadful! The petrichoriness burns off and warm, creamy notes starts to shine through. I still get dirt vibes, but spices and occasionally a whiff that makes me think of pipe ashes become more prominent as it wears. The beeswax is there if I sniff directly, looking for it, but otherwise reads as a creamy base for this weirdo tobacco note. Not the cuddly, luxe tobacco scent I was expecting but I like it on a million times better than expected from bottle sniff. Might not get a lot of wear in this heat but we'll see how he fits into my collection!

Edited by OxfordComma

This one has rested a good bit and I think it needed it. I was not sure what to expect from golden tobacco but it is delightfully distinct from other tobacco notes I've smelled. There is indeed something golden about it: a light, warm, perfume quality, for lack of a better descriptor. The beeswax is lighter/less sweet than I was expecting, with a gentle earthiness that I suspect is contributing to an impression of soil others are getting.

Overall impression of the duet on its own is that of a high end skin scent, have not layered this with anything yet.

Edited to add: the beeswax really sticks to me and develops more of the honeyed aspect later in the wear - even though there's not much throw the weartime on this is great.

Edited by LavenderCoffee