Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet roasted pumpkin rind, raw wool accord, polished oak, baked bread, cocoa absolute, and kitchen herbs.

old woman with cat

Antonio Rotta

Old Woman With Cat is as cozy and autumnal as I hoped it would be. 
It starts off as soft, sugared spice, a cloud of cocoa powder, and flour dusted over a wooden board.  Warm and sweet.  I get a hint of dried herbs for the first few minutes, but that disappears quickly. 
After a half hour, I'm left with a pile of sugar with warm spices (cinnamon-ish from the pumpkin) sifted through it and a hint of flour.  Every once in a while, I still get a random whiff of the chocolate, which is wonderful.
By the 4 hour mark, the chocolate is more present again and it's darkening everything a little and it's so good.  It makes the blend feel a bit shadowy and mysterious to me.  Sugar with cinnamon and cocoa powder sifted through it.  
The description lists cocoa absolute, but there is no sludgy cocoa absolute in my bottle, so there's nothing that needs to be mixed up to experience the full scent and get the chocolate-y tones. 
I keep thinking 'sugar and spice and everything nice' as I wear this.  It is the cozy autumn vibes that I need right now 🦇🧡🖤.

I absolutely agree with Little Bird, this is autumnal spice, very cozy and snuggly like a wool sweater that’s been well loved. It’s sweeter than I would’ve expected from the notes, but I love that! I can’t stop sniffing myself.

Mmm, warm rich spice, very autumnal! I primarily get warm baking spices and a baked note that made me think of not-overly-sweet pie crust but I think is in fact the bread + roasted pumpkin. (Or something like scones? You know the sort of dough that's got, like, a hint of sweetness, it'll go well with jam on top, but not like a dessert level of sweetness? It's like that.) Not much cocoa (I actually forgot that was in here!), and not much wool or oak (which I'm fine with, because woods aren't always my favorite). Absolutely cozy and cuddly and friendly, like you've been baking in an autumn kitchen with a cat sitting on a bar-stool next to you, purring.

This smells exquisite in the vial and freshly applied. The oak note is smoothed over by the gourmand notes, while the oak and wool keep this from being straight-up foodie. It starts off as freshly baked bread, pumpkin, oak, and wool (which I am delighted to say does not smell like laundry), with a dash of cocoa and herbs. There isn't enough cocoa here to make the scent very chocolate-y, and the herbs here are much more tame than they were in A Snug Corner. Over time, the scent becomes mainly about the pumpkin on me, which is indeed sweet, syrupy, and not heavily spiced.

If this had stayed the way it was when it was initially applied, it might've been a bottle purchase. But the syrupy pumpkin it ends with makes me think that the decant will suffice. Still, of the new cat scents, I enjoyed this one the most.

Edited by doomsday_disco