Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A deep rumbling purr: myrrh, sweet almond, spiced rum, brown sugar, honeyed dates, golden amber, scorched marshmallow, and toasted vanilla musk.

the large cat

Cornelis Visscher

To me, this is quite a sweet scent. It makes me think of white chocolate even though that isn't a note. The honeyed date note is most prominent to me and is absolutely gorgeous; it reminds me a little of Lush's Sticky Dates. A pretty, sugary, decadent gourmand. 

A big warm spiced scent! This feels very classic BPAL to me - actually it does remind me a lot of Bastet, and not just for the cat association! It's that warm spices + almond swirl that's surging up at the forefront. But this Large Cat doesn't have Bastet's lotus or cardamom notes - that's been replaced with toasted dark gooey marshmallow and dates and a deep rich vanilla, so there's extra sweetness, but not candy sweetness; the "toasted marshmallow" really is a good descriptor!

This is going to be lovely for wearing when the weather finally cools off!

This starts off with a blast of rum on me, which actually smells very boozy this time. The rum is accompanied by the honeyed dates and some almond, and the almond quickly burns off and leaves the rum, honeyed dates, and some brown sugar. The rum is not overly spiced, but damn, is the rum + honeyed date + brown sugar combo hella sweet. It stays like this for a long time, until the resins emerge, of which the myrrh is the most prominent on me. It reminds me of the myrrh in OLLA Eve. Actually, I kept huffing this at the end of the day because there was this spiced resin thing going on that reminded me of that scent, although honey and myrrh are the only notes they have in common. I could also see the comparison above to Bastet, although Bastet's myrrh is a softer variety, to my nose. The vanilla and marshmallow are not distinct on me, but perhaps they would become more noticeable with age?

The final morph of this is intoxicating, but the first phase of this scent is just way too sweet and boozy for me.