Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
KaelKitty

"Mad Scientist" inspired or adjacent scents?

We're getting super close to Spooky Season™ and I'm really leaning into the mad scientist vibe this year (as opposed to my usual druid/Samhain vibe I go for every year).  I feel like BPAL has/had several scents that were along the lines of mad scientist or mad scientist's lab, but I don't remember which ones they are/were!

The ones that come to mind are, unfortunately, discontinued or were LE, but...

Herbert West: Aftershave, embalming fluid, and splatterings from a panoply of reanimation reagents.

Dr. Henry Jekyll: A discreet men's cologne of juniper, cumin, verbena, bergamot, mint, and basil splattered with dregs from apothecary bottles.

Mr. Edward Hyde: That selfsame gentlemen’s cologne corrupted by base, dissolute musk, bitter tobacco, sour bourbon, sweat, and a splatter of blood.

Workshop of Filthy Creation: electricity-scarred cypress beams, ancient stone slabs, damp metal, the coppery tang of coagulating blood, and ozone.

There is also Lich's Laboratory atmosphere spray, which is still available on the website:

Hissing vials of acid, swirls of thick incense, creeping mosses, flecks of grave loam, and noxious potions clutter the blackened stone biers of an abandoned burial vault.

I feel like the Steamworks scents would be good for that vibe, even if they're not exactly "mad scientist" themed, they still might fit the general mood, especially Galvanic Goggles, No. 93 Engine, and Aelopile.  

Beholder Optician from the RPG scents could be a possibility too.  

Dee might be good, too.

Edit: bellumed beat me to it, I second those suggestions, and the Skeksis is a good one I forgot about!

19 hours ago, PumpkinGuts said:

The ones that come to mind are, unfortunately, discontinued or were LE, but...

Herbert West: Aftershave, embalming fluid, and splatterings from a panoply of reanimation reagents.

Dr. Henry Jekyll: A discreet men's cologne of juniper, cumin, verbena, bergamot, mint, and basil splattered with dregs from apothecary bottles.

Mr. Edward Hyde: That selfsame gentlemen’s cologne corrupted by base, dissolute musk, bitter tobacco, sour bourbon, sweat, and a splatter of blood.

Workshop of Filthy Creation: electricity-scarred cypress beams, ancient stone slabs, damp metal, the coppery tang of coagulating blood, and ozone.

There is also Lich's Laboratory atmosphere spray, which is still available on the website:

Hissing vials of acid, swirls of thick incense, creeping mosses, flecks of grave loam, and noxious potions clutter the blackened stone biers of an abandoned burial vault.

There was a Herbert West one?!  Shit, I'm gonna have to try and track that one down.  I'm a big Reanimator fan. 😆

18 hours ago, bellumed said:

If you'd like to order directly from the lab, I'd take a look at: 

The Steamworks ones sound pretty good!

Amazing suggestions so far!  Weren't there also some ones that were lab/alchemy inspired?  I think they may be GC.

What leaps to mind for me is the fragrance inspired by Dr. Caligari herself! 💉

Minty on My LipsEven the brainiest femme fatale schemes are bound to collapse under the weight of a monstrous ego. The scent of defeat snatched from the jaws of success: a soft, satiny pink grapefruit punctured by a shiny metal drill bit.

I feel like ANYTHING in the Dr. Caligari series is likely a great match for this. Also, the standalone Embalming Fluid scent from the General Catalog.

Also the Lightning Strikes series, particularly Lighting Strikes the Future: "The ultimate lab experiment: streaks of feral red musk twining in a double-helix around a pulsing, electrified core of fossilized amber, erupting from a glimmering pool of reactor coolant."

4 hours ago, Failmingo said:

I feel like ANYTHING in the Dr. Caligari series is likely a great match for this. Also, the standalone Embalming Fluid scent from the General Catalog.

Also the Lightning Strikes series, particularly Lighting Strikes the Future: "The ultimate lab experiment: streaks of feral red musk twining in a double-helix around a pulsing, electrified core of fossilized amber, erupting from a glimmering pool of reactor coolant."

DUDE I was looking at the Dr. Caligari stuff the other day!  I have a sample of Caligari A Go-Go and I'm in LOVE with it.  I want to FS it, so I took the opportunity to look at the rest of the collection.  Embalming Fluid is high on my "to buy" list. :)

Edited by KaelKitty

Sign in to follow this