Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
multifoiled

Full bottle scents different to imps?

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the site and I wasn't sure which section to post this in so I apologize if it's in the wrong place!

I recently made my third BPAL order (which, I must say, was gargantuan) and as well as a mass of imps decided to purchase full bottles of three of my favourite samples (Cleric, Dance of Death and The Caterpillar) from a previous order. Upon opening the bottles I was immediately struck by the fact that they smelt quite different to the imps I had received previously. They all smelt pleasant and 2 of the 3 were vaguely reminiscent of what I had loved before but still remarkably different. Dance of Death was the most like what I remembered, just much fresher, brighter and less dry than the imp. I assume that after sitting to rest for a while it will smell more like it did before. Cleric is still lovely but does not have the strong rose incense-y warmth that I fell in love with last time, and The Caterpillar smells like a pretty floral but completely different to the somewhat heavy, incense-laden scent of the imp. Some of the new imps I have tried also lack the smoky incense scent that I expected and others described (I am definitely an incense lover if that wasn't obvious!). I considered it could be a matter of skin chemistry not amplifying certain notes but I have not had that problem with incense before. Is this something anyone else has experienced or am I just losing it? Could it perhaps be that they need to age for a while, since I assume the imps I had last year could have maybe rested for a few weeks before I got them? :think:

Also, take a shot every time I say incense..:rolleyes:

Edited by multifoiled

A lot of bottles settle quite a bit once they have been out of the agitation of the mail for a few days, also having been opened for the first time and getting a chance to breathe. In my experience (still much newer to BPAL than many here), the bottle will smell more like the imp about a week after being delivered and opened/tested for that first sniff. I in fact usually don't test mine until they've been out of the mail for a bit.

Imps and bottles do seem to age a little differently over the long term though.

Having time to settle can definitely change the smell of your perfume. Some are pretty true to their character fresh from the mail, but I've had one bottle that took about 3 weeks of rest before it smelled "right". Everything else I've tried seems to vary within that range. 

I like to test mine fresh, then again after 3 days, and so on. Some perfumes are ready to wear immediately, others just need a bit of time. ^_^