Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A luminous cold flame: chilled bergamot, Ceylon cinnamon, white clove bud, amber, and incense smoke.

Between these passionate moments there were long intervals of commonplace, of gaiety, of brooding melancholy, during which, except that I detected her eyes so full of melancholy fire, following me, at times I might have been as nothing to her.

To my nose, this could be a cousin to Every Day is Halloween. The sandalwood in that blend hits similarly to me; resinous, woody, warm. It packs a punch. Melancholy Fire diverges with the citrus zest from the bergamot and it really pops through the heat of this fragrance. It dissipates just slightly, and as it dries down, settling on the skin, you get a rich amber incense that doesn't read as heavy or powdery. It makes me think of grubby, handmade incense cones that you burn on a charcoal disc--carefully rolled in oil of bergamot, dusted in finely ground cinnamon and clove. Or when something is so cold that it burns...

You would think that this would be a prickly, fiery scent, but its not, not really. The warmth is there for ambiance, overshadowing the brightness from the citrus just slightly but not enough to snuff it out or in some cases irritate the skin. It's really balanced and just really beautiful.